Complementary therapies are used to support the treatment of more than 12 million adults in the UK each year. Although the principles of Chinese medicine date back thousands of years, they still carry great relevance and are becoming increasingly integral components of healthcare systems around the world. The potential economic benefits of complementary therapies are also attracting large pharmaceutical companies. Britain's biggest drug maker, GlaxoSmithKline, has established research laboratories in China to investigate how traditional Chinese medicine can be integrated with modern drug discovery. Our degree, taught by leading practitioners in the field, offers some of the best training facilities in the UK.
Why study Chinese Medicine, MSc at Middlesex?
- We host regular guest lectures from leading experts who are well known in the field of complementary therapy.
- You will be able to tailor the professional practice element to suit your needs and situation. We offer practice opportunities with our training clinic near to Hendon and the satellite acupuncture clinics in major London hospitals.
- There are also opportunities to complete an internship in China through our affiliation with Beijing University of Chinese Medicine.
- The 2013 National Student Survey rated Middlesex first for student satisfaction across all London complementary courses.
- We are consistently at the forefront of pioneering research. Areas investigated include the use of herbs as medicines, the potential for herb-drug interactions, and the experiences of population groups in their use of specific complementary and alternative medicines.
- The course is delivered by the Department of Mental Health, Social Work, Interprofesssional Learning and Complementary Health - home to recognised excellence in teaching and learning delivered by a large and diversely skilled staff group with extensive experience in practice and research. There is a wide range of research activity within the Department, which has five professors, and we frequently undertake research and evaluation on behalf of external agencies.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Middlesex is a global pioneer in Chinese medicine research and teaching. The first ever university outside China to launch a traditional Chinese medicine degree, we have developed a course that is rated top for student satisfaction across the whole of London.
Chinese Medicine can be a difficult subject to study because its treatments are often complex and are based on ideas that differ to those of modern Western medicine.
However our highly qualified team of specialists and dedicated staff, who have experience of working around the globe, will support you with their rich knowledge and broad skillset.
A unique training programme in the UK, the course is aimed at existing practitioners and acupuncture or Traditional Chinese Medicine graduates, who understand the importance of continuous professional development and specialisation in their practice. We are currently developing an exciting new medicinal herb garden, which will be a fantastic vehicle for interactive learning. Containing more than 200 species of medicinal plants, the facility will amount to a living reference library.